Tuesday, 11 March 2008

…and now for something completely stupid...

Every now and again I do something so stupid I question my status as a sentient being...

 

This time, I was quickly knocking a demo together and needed to remove the search input box from all pages, 15 seconds later I have completed my hacking of the master page in SPD and published the file...

 

Then I noticed all my list views stopped working... Angry

 

The usual MOSS error (unexpected error occurred Angry) was of little use, after enabling stack trace (thanks Vince Wink) I tracked it down to the missing search content placeholder (which I had just deleted from the mp - DOH!)...

 

So, lesson learned... if you don't think you need a content placeholder (even if you're sure) don't delete it, move it down to the bottom of the mp under:

 

<asp:panel visible="false" runat="server">


 



Thanks to Jason for pointing me in the right direction...

Saturday, 8 March 2008

Using the XML webPart in WSS to render RSS

Been asked a few time recently about RSS in WSS (I think one of the main reasons for confusion is the product comparison guide published by MSFT).

 

So, RSS in WSS, the consumption thereof. Is easy.

 

Simply add the XML webpart into your webpart zone, add the source URL to whatever you want (I was after Google news RRS) and then all you need a transform.

 

I am generally very lazy, so grabbed someone else's XSL:

http://www.dnncreative.com/Portals/0/tutorials/RSS/RSSDisplayHtml.zip

 

Add this to the XSL Editor and you're done.

 

This isn't the best way of surfacing RSS in WSS, but it is probably the quickest...

 

EDIT: check this: http://www.sharepointrss.com/ (thanks Derek)