Matthew William Groves CV
An experienced senior consultant with extensive knowledge of Microsoft, and supporting, technologies in both a strategic and delivery context. With strong communication and presentation skills, and a particular specialism in SharePoint (2010, 2007, 2003) and related collaborative, web 2.0 and information worker technologies – active, well known and respected in the Microsoft global consultancy, business management and product development communities. Broader, business focussed skills around change management, programme management, business adoptions, governance, envisioning and process improvement.
Proven delivery capability across small to enterprise scale IT enabled change programmes either leading or as part of large project teams or as a stand-alone consultant / solution architect. Experience aligning technology to business needs and delivering projects within virtually all industry sectors at a regional and global level (Legal, Media, Telecommunications, Public Sector, Financial Services, Not for Profit, Professional Services) resulting in broad industry knowledge.
Excellent leadership, management, team building and mentoring skills (from both a client and internal perspective) in developing technical capabilities for project delivery, and support, on Microsoft technologies.
Able to quickly learn new technologies and acquire new skills with ease and adopts an analytical and logical approach to problem solving, able to communicate technical subject matter to both technical and business users, and produce accurate, detailed and compelling documentation and collateral. Enjoys working at the cutting edge of technology.
January 05 – to date TRINITY EXPERT SYSTEMS LTD, Westwood Business Park, Coventry.
Trinity is a leading IT solutions provider. Committed to delivering professional, enterprise level solutions that address the business challenges of clients across multiple verticals on a local and global level.
Employed as a Managing Consultant, reporting to the Head of Enterprise Services, with a practice of 9 consultants focussing on, but not limited to, SharePoint and underpinning technologies. This senior, high profile role is principally responsible for providing lead consulting (both pre-sales and post-sales), technical architecture and design authority, and technical leadership in Enterprise arenas across multiple verticals within the Trinity client base.
Other key responsibilities include technical assurance, pre-sales engagement support, leading workshops, translation of business requirements into solution definitions through deep understanding of business process and technology.
Instrumental in the successful delivery of several large scale projects including projects on behalf of Microsoft Consultancy Services. Other project clients include Eversheds, O2, Computacenter, Royal Mail Group, BSkyB, Severn Trent Water, Linklaters, the MoD, BP, 3i, Davis Langdon, Ashurst and Channel 4. An engagement summary can be supplied if requested.
· Strategic Positioning – Working with clients to position technology to address short and long term business requirements and achieve best value from Microsoft technology in the enterprise space
· Consultancy - consulting on collaborative business solutions based around the Microsoft Office stack. Technological solutions were focused on Intranets, Extranets, Team collaboration, EDRMS, and real time communications
· Business Development – Input into sales processes through initial client engagements, sales presentations, leading workshops, technology demonstrations, technology positioning, tender responses and input into marketing campaigns
· Quality Assurance – Quality assurance of all SharePoint / Information Architecture related work and development activity related to extending SharePoint functionality
· Project Delivery – Delivery of client projects generally filling one of the following roles: Lead Consultant, Solution / Enterprise Architect or Technical Design Authority
· Project / Team Management – Operational management of small and large teams using methodologies such as Prince 2 and ITIL
· Training – development and delivery of training courses (documentation, environments etc.) on a one to one, classroom or train the trainer basis.
Key Internal Responsibilities:
· Practice management – Operational and line management of Information Worker Solutions team (circa 9 consultants) in developing skills, training plans, support on projects and supporting line management activity
· Engagement with Microsoft – Managing Trinity’s Microsoft engagement around information worker technologies by acting as representative on the global Development Advisory Council (DAC), PEP and LEAP programs and leading UK SharePoint User Group activities
· Sales Education – Development and delivery of sales training and literature for Trinity account managers and business development staff to support new client acquisition and cross-selling
· Maintaining qualifications / competencies – Ensuring Trinity maintains technical competency by supporting junior staff in achieving Microsoft Qualifications and working with clients around case studies / references
· Support Escalation – Acts as an escalation for managing critical support incidents around SharePoint infrastructure
· Internal Projects – internal collaboration, project management process, documentation, testing / development process improvement.
Other areas of activity:
· Research – keeping Trinity aligned to new developments in the market place (e.g. Web 2.0 and social media/social networking)
· Microsoft – Working on pre-beta release products (for example SharePoint 2010 through the DAC program).
Prior to being appointed Managing Consultant held the position of Strategic Consultant reporting to the Head of Strategic Consulting.
Primary responsibilities were consulting on collaborative business solutions based around the Microsoft Office/SharePoint stack. Technological solutions were focused on Intranets, Extranets, Team collaboration, EDRMS, and real time communications.
April 01 – Dec 04 MAGNETIC NORTH SOFTWARE LTD, Meridian Business Park, Leicester.
Market leaders in the field of call recording and predictive dialling software.
Employed as Escalation and Infrastructure Manager. Responsible for management of the infrastructure (network, internal systems, servers and telephony platforms) for both Magnetic North and other companies within the Mirage Technology Holdings Group (Total of 50 users, 20 servers and 5 telephone switches, across 4 sites). Also responsible for managing a small team of customer support engineers. Prior to promotion in August 2002, employed as the Installation Engineer, responsible for the installation of Magnetic North products throughout Europe.
· Completion of Office re-location with only 10 hours service interruption
· Delivery of infrastructure migration project 1 week ahead of schedule and under budget.
May 00 –To April 01 Dixons Stores Group, Nunnery Square, Sheffield.
Since its launch in 1998 Freeserve (now Orange) become one of the largest ISP’s in the UK.
Held the position of 2nd Line Co-ordinator within Freeserve Support. Primarily responsible for evaluation and diagnosis of service outages, and managing a team of 2nd Line Technical Advisor’s.
Aug 99-May 00 Dixons Stores Group, Lenton Lane, Nottingham.
Responsible for the provision of technical support, via email and phone, to PCWorld and Freeserve customers.
Microsoft Councils and Groups – Member of and Development Advisory Council (office/SharePoint) and SharePoint Architects Group (invitation only group run by Microsoft UK)
Microsoft Certifications – MCP (Managing and Maintaining and Windows Server 2003 Environment / Installing, Configuring and Administering Microsoft Windows XP Professional - both 2005)
MOD Security Clearance – Now lapsed, was held by Qinetiq.
Microsoft Beta Programs –Active participant in Virtual Server, OCS, Windows (Server 2003 R2 and Windows7) and Office/SharePoint (12 and 14) beta programs
User Groups –Active participant in SharePoint User Group UK (SUGUK), member of VBUG and NxtGenUG
Microsoft Events –Attended many Conferences, TechNet and Community events
Nortel Symposium - Basic Administration –Checkmate Ltd, Leicestershire (2003)
Professional Selling –Checkmate Ltd, Leicestershire (2002)
Nortel Meridian 1 - Basic Administration –Checkmate Ltd, Leicestershire (2001)
Introduction to Internet Technologies –Planet Online, Leeds (1999)
Confortable speaking to large audiences with a unique and engaging presentation style. Recent speaking engagements include SharePoint Evolution Conference, SharePoint User Group (UK) meetings and several Microsoft/Trinity feature forums and roadmap events.
1997-1999 University of Plymouth, Devon. Studied: BSc Marine Technology with Navigation (97-98), BSc Computing (98-99)
1995-1997 Col. Frank Seeley School, Notts. A-Levels in Physics (D), Chemistry (D) and Biology (E).
1990-1995 Col. Frank Seeley School, Notts. 8 GCSE’s including 2 A’s and 3 B’s.
In addition to keenly following technology and supporting the communities of which he is a member, Matt enjoys spending time with his young children and family, fishing, playing golf, and photography. Matt is also a rugby union fan and supports Leicester Tigers.
Matt has a strong online presence:
Based in North Leicestershire and holds a full driving licence.